TABLE OF CONTENTS
Tasks can be added in the Current Tasks screen. Navigate here via Tasks & Dispatch > Current Tasks to see all tasks that are currently active. You can sort the Tasks and also filter using the Search box. By default, any Completed Tasks will not show, but you can display these by checking the Show Completed box.
Create a New Task
To create a new Task, use the “ADD NEW” button in the upper-right corner of the page. Next you select between Creating a Task from a Template or Creating a new Blank Task. For the purposes of this tutorial, select Create a New Blank Task (you can read up on Task Templates in our Task Templates page). You will then see the Create Task Screen.
- Enter a brief description for the Task. This what will show to mobile app users.
- Select an app user to whom to assign the Task.
- Specify a date and time by which the Task must be completed. If the app user does not complete the Task by this date, the Task will show in red as overdue until they complete it.
- Enter any additional information for the Task. Use this field to enter notes and other useful information that the app user should know about the Task.
- If you are using Groups, you will also see a Restrict To field. Should you select a specific group to which to restrict the Pack, then only web and app users in that Group will be able to view and access the Pack. The External Id field is optional and allows you to enter a code or identifier from any other system you are using. This way you have a link to systems like a CRM.
- Location is an optional field that allows you to specify a street address where the Task is to be performed. You can optionally search for the Street name and mark it on the provided map. If you do this, the GPS coordinates of the Location will be included in the Task for the app user to view on a map in the mobile app.
- The Must Complete Within field allows you to force the Task to be completed within a specified radius of the selected Location. If you choose one of the available Complete Within options, then the system will use mobile device GPS to detect how close the app user is to the Location. The app user will not be able to complete the Task until the GPS confirms that they are within the specified radius. Be careful with this option: the GPS systems in mobile devices can be inaccurate indoors, which may result in your app user being unable to complete the Task.
- Once you've filled out the fields, hit the Create button to create the Task.
Edit Task Activities
After creating a new Task, you will enter the Task Activities screen. As mentioned earlier, every Task must have at least one Activity in order for you to send the Task to the assigned app user. You manage the Task activities in the Task Activities screen, which is accessed via the “edit activities” link displayed in top-left options bar of the Edit Task screen and is also accessible from the Tasks Listing screen when you roll over a row.
The Activities screen contains the list of Task activities and is also updated by the app user’s actions as the Task is progressed and completed in the field. For a new Task, add activities by using the “Add Activity” link. You can change the order of the activities by using the arrowhead buttons to the right of each row, and delete activities using the X button. Each activity must have an Activity Type and relevant Activity Details specified:
- For the Fill Out Form type, you must specify the Form from the list of published Forms.
- The Read Doc activity type requires that you select a Doc from the published Doc list
- The Instruction type requires that you enter some text describing the instruction.
Once a Task is sent to the app user, the Activities screen is no longer editable. As the app user completes the Task activities, the activities will be updated with completion times and links to any data received such as Form entries filled out. Once you have entered all the activities for the Task, make sure you click the “save changes” link in the options bar to save the contents. After saving your changes, you can use the “edit details” link in the options bar to go on and send the Task out to the app user.
Delete a Task
To delete a task seen on the Current Tasks page, click the checkbox to the left of the row and click the "MANAGE" button in the upper-right corner of the page and click "TRASH." Confirm the choice on the resulting modal to send the task to the trash bin. Note that the task's assigned user must Force Sync on their app to see the task removed from the device.
Import a Task
In addition to creating a new task from scratch in the designer, you can also import a task from an Excel spreadsheet or CSV file. Click the "IMPORT TASK" button to the right of the "ADD NEW" and "MANAGE" buttons to select a file for importing.
Within the resulting modal you will also see a downloadable link for an example template that you can modify and upload. When using this template, be sure to complete all fields, including the "Complete By" field. Details for the various fields can be found in the "Column Definitions" tab in the template worksheet; this tab should be consulted for any errors encountered when trying to import the sheet.
Please note that 3 things at minimum must be addressed for the template to be accepted:
- The "firstname.lastname@example.org" value in the Assigned To column (B) must be replaced with the email address of an actual user.
- The date value in Complete By (D) must be formatted according to the date format specified in Organization Setup > Regional Settings.
- If ActivityType (K) is FillOutForm, the value of ActivityDetail (L) must be the name of an actual form within the org.